Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vegan Rootbeer Cupcakes




Wooo, now that I have a new frilly template, I think I'll start blogging again. It's about time I stop being a lazy bum, eh? Well, let's kick off this new blog with my newest recipe. I gave up on cupcakes for a while after trying to find the perfect yellow cupcake recipe. Do you know how hard that is to find? They either come out tasting like cornbread(weird, I know) or dense and unappetizing. I'll stick to box mix for yellow cake.
I decided that I would redeem my cupcake baking skills for the New Years. So I got my cute little apron on and went hunting for an interesting recipe. I'm a pretty daring baker, so plain old vanilla and chocolate just didn't cut it for me. All of the recipes I found included things I didn't have or things that I just didn't want. I almost gave up and printed out a chocolate recipe.
But wait, there's more...! Before the last shred of hope I had in finding in interesting recipe dissipated, my cousin's complaining shed a bit of inspiration on me. You see, my cousin has a slightly unhealthy obsession with all things rootbeer. I typed "Rootbeer Float cupcake" into my search bar and there you have it...!
This lovely recipe led me to one fun day of baking.

I took a look at the recipe and made some last minute adjustments so...
here you have it. It's time to get messy.

RootBeer Float Cupcakes

1 Cup Rootbeer Soda
1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Teaspoons Rootbeer Concentrate
1 1/2 Cups Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt

Line one muffin tin with cupcake papers and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the rootbeer with the vinegar. Let that sit for a minute or two. In the mean time, sift your flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a seperate bowl. Now, back to the soda concoction... Whisk in the sugar and oil vigorously until it becomes frothy. Add in the flavorings and then slowly pour in the flour mixture. Avoid overmixing. Using an icecream scooper, fill each cupcake liner 3/4ths of the way up. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Use the toothpick trick to test its doneness. Let them cool completely before icing.

Now these cupcakes are vegan.
So if you have any veggie friends, I'm sure they'd love these.

However, I committed a taboo.
I put whipped cream on a vegan cupcake.
WHIPPED CREAM.
I'm sure vegans everywhere are frowning down upon my decision.
But I don't care.
They're delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment