Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cinnamon Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream



I love a good challenge. And I love to bake.
So it's only natural I'd combine the two...right?
Well, that's exactly what I did. With the help of my friends on DeviantArt, I gathered 100 recipe ideas and I'm going to bake and blog about every one of them!

There are a lot of recipes to try out. There's some I've never even heard of, some with flavors I've never tried, etc. It's all very exciting to say the least! I got a LOT of cupcake suggestions. So I figured that cupcakes would be the best place to start. I picked one of ShadowSquishy's suggestions first.

Cinnamon cupcakes.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour.
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder.
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
1 1/2 sticks of softened, unsalted butter.
1/2 cup of sugar.
1 large egg.
1 large egg yolk.
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
3/4 cups of whole milk.
2 1/2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of packed, light brown sugar.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4. Beat together the white sugar, brown sugar and butter in an electric mixer until fluffy, then add the eggs and vanilla.
5. Slowly pour in your flour mixture, alternating with milk, at a low speed.
6. Line your cupcake pan with papers of your choice.
7. Fill 3/4 of the cupcake liner with batter.
9. Bake them for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
10. Let them cool for about 20 minutes.

I would also share the recipe for the buttercream but...
I have a primitive habit of making up icing recipes on the spot and forgetting to write them down?
My method is simply:
1. Make a basic buttercream.
2. Add buttloads of different ingredients to get a good flavor.
3. Force my family to taste test. If they go back for more...it's good!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, those cupcakes look so good and the flavor combination of your cake and frosting sounds like a well matched pair. have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete